Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links.
Rabbits are amazing pets. They are playful, cheerful, and are a great company. They not only keep us occupied, they also keep us lively with their antics, as they cheerfully hop around the house or their hutch all day long.
One of the most enjoyable parts of getting a new pet rabbit is choosing its name.
Newborn baby rabbits are identified as kits or kittens. When you decide on a name for your new kit, you may want something different, cute, or even something funny.
Naming your pet animal will help you to create a bond with him and a sense of belonging. Mind you, rabbits learn to reply to your voice and will become more friendly once they are accustomed to you and the people who visit them frequently. They are even smart enough to identify and learn to respond to their own names, so choose carefully.
With so many rabbit pet owners, there are a bunch of names that you could think of. If you just got a bunny and are trying to come up with the ideal name, here are loads of concepts to get you started:
- Cute and funny
- Inspired by rabbit traits
- Inspired by breeds
- Good for pairs
So sit back, take a bowl of carrots to munch on, and pick out that excellent name for your new, furry friend.
Skip to section
- Tips on Naming Your Bunny
- What Makes a Good Male Pet Rabbit Name?
- Most Popular Male Rabbit Names
- Names for Male Rabbits Based on Their Appearance
- Boy Rabbit Names from Myths and Legends
- Names for Boy Rabbits Taken from Foreign Languages
- Male Bunny Names Based on Books and Movies
- Fun Puns Based on Famous People’s Names
- Names Inspired by the Behavior of Male Rabbits
- Boy Rabbit Names Inspired by Food and Drink
- Best Names for Male Dwarf Rabbits
- Iconic Male Rabbit Pair Names
- Adding a Dash of Distinction
- Will My Rabbit Respond To His Name?
- Final Thoughts
Tips on Naming Your Bunny
It’s not always easy coming up with the ideal name for your bunny.
Maybe you have a couple picked out and you just can’t determine which one you like best. Maybe your mind is drawing a blank and you can’t think of a unique name.
Whatever the reason, here are some tips to help you out:
- Pick a characteristic that stands out and let that be your influence.
- Get to know its nature and make sure to take your time deciding.
- Name it after your beloved fictional character.
- Make it entertaining. Everybody prefers a name that makes them chuckle.
You’ll need to think thoroughly before committing to a name for a male rabbit. Your pet will possess the same name for up to ten years, so you’ll need to guarantee that both you and your pet like it.
Choose a rabbit name from your favorite food, film, or book. Name your pet after somebody you love or respect. You could even choose something that’s just for fun, as long as it’s in good taste.
With proper training, your rabbit will learn his name. Treat it like a command, so much so that your pet would realize that good things happen when you say his name.
What Makes a Good Male Pet Rabbit Name?
There is nothing wrong with strange names for male rabbits. The more unusual the name is, the better. Just remember that you’ll need to use it in the presence of other people, so don’t come up with a name that would cause them any confusion.
Other rules include the following:
- Ensure the name doesn’t sound like other general words
- Avoid swearing or potentially offensive names
- Keep in mind that your rabbit will not be a baby forever
- Choose a name that you can call quickly
Most Popular Male Rabbit Names
Here are the ten most famous male (buck) rabbit names. These are popular for a reason:
- Thumper. Inspired by the Disney classic film Bambi.
- Jelly Bean. This is an adorable name that befits a cute, cuddly rabbit.
- Snowball. This is ideal if you have a white rabbit.
- Snoop. White rabbits that possess black noses will resemble Snoopy. It also satisfies curious, nosey rabbits.
- Oliver. A human name can be a clever and easy way to grab your rabbit’s attention.
- Comet. This is one of Santa’s reindeer and an ideal male rabbit name for a science enthusiast.
- Stuart. This human name initially meant, “guardian.” Your rabbit will defend his territory.
- Billy. “William” indicates somebody with a strong will and determination.
- Midnight. Maybe your rabbit has jet-black fur.
- Caramel. The excellent name for a pet with smooth, light brown fur.
Names for Male Rabbits Based on Their Appearance
The simplest way to name your pet is after his appearance because you’re unlikely ever to forget his name this way. Here are some of your prospects:
- Ghost. A distinguished name for a pure white rabbit
- Bright Eyes. Greet your pet with his striking eyes.
- Barcode. If you have a black and white rabbit, he will match a supermarket barcode.
- Blackbeard. The nickname of a legendary pirate, and a suitable name for a black rabbit.
- Marbles. If your rabbit has gray fur, it will look like glossy marble.
- Spot. Some rabbits have spots on their coats.
- Inky. This name would suit a refined black rabbit or a white rabbit with sprinkled black markings.
- Tigger. Occasionally, a rabbit will have orange fur with black markings similar to a tiger. Winnie the Pooh’s friend leaps like a rabbit.
- Chestnut. A rabbit with dark brown fur will suit this name.
- Teddy (or Theodore.) Perhaps your rabbit hints you of a teddy bear.
Boy Rabbit Names from Myths and Legends
Flicking through tales of yesteryear is an excellent way to inspire pet names. Your rabbit could be named after any number of famous legendary characters:
- Cupid. The Roman god of love softened hearts with his bow and arrow.
- Thor. The Norse god of thunder had an insatiable appetite, a kind heart, and an iron will.
- Loki. The god of mischief, Thor’s brother.
- Aesop. This was the name of a Greek writer who wrote several treasured fables. Fittingly, Aesop penned, “The Tortoise and the Hare.”
- Hercules. The demigod of Greek myth was famed for his might and nobility. You can apply the spelling of Heracles if you’d like to be traditional.
- Jupiter. As great as a planet, Jupiter was the king of the Roman gods. You could utilize Zeus for the Greek equivalent.
- Horus. Ancient Egyptians praised Horus and his all-seeing eye.
- Galahad. An Arthurian legend, it’s claimed that Sir Galahad found The Holy Grail.
- Merlin. King Arthur’s legendary wizard confidante.
- Don Quixote. A famous adventurer from Spain.
Names for Boy Rabbits Taken from Foreign Languages
Do you have a fascinating cultural heritage? Maybe you could pay tribute to your heritage through your rabbit’s name. Several foreign-language names have compelling meanings:
- Enzo. A French name that implies, “he who runs the home.”
- Javieria. A South American name that transfers to, “one who is full of light.”
- Oscar. In Scandinavian countries, Oscar signifies a loyal and devoted friend.
- Aleksi. In Finland, this name signifies, “protector of the land.”
- Kamaye. A Japanese name that expresses happiness and enthusiasm.
- Shaka. A traditional African name, inspired by a strong and respected leader.
- Mathias. Another French name signifies, “a gift from God.”
- Kamil. Polish term for, “perfect.”
- Anamcha. Gaelic for, “one of tremendous spirits.”
- Kristoff. This name denotes, “at one with Christ” in various international languages.
Male Bunny Names Based on Books and Movies
Pop culture is a rich source of influence for pet names. Think about your favorite films and movies and see what suits your rabbit the best:
- Aslan. If you have a male lionhead rabbit, the noble lion of Narnia renders a great name. You could also apply Simba, from The Lion King.
- Dumbo. A male lop-eared bunny could take his name from Disney’s elephant. Like your pet, Dumbo had large, floppy ears.
- Peter. Beatrix Potter’s Peter Rabbit has been enchanting children for years. Another selection from the same stories is Benjamin Bunny.
- Harvey. In the film of this name, James Stewart’s best friend is an invisible rabbit that is more than six feet tall.
- Fiver. Fiver is the name of the titular hero of Watership Down. This is arguably the most famous rabbit book and film of all time.
- Gandalf. Sparked by the wizard from The Lord of the Rings. An ideal name for gray and white rabbits.
- Skippy. Another name incited by Disney, Skippy is a rabbit character from the animated classic Robin Hood.
- Roger. Who Framed Roger Rabbit? was a popular 80s film. If you mate your rabbit, you can name his wife Jessica.
- Velveteen. Margery Williams softened hearts with The Velveteen Rabbit in 1922. This is the tale of a stuffed rabbit so beloved that he comes to life.
- Bugs. Sometimes, the old ones truly are the best.
Fun Puns Based on Famous People’s Names
Naming your rabbit after a celebrity serves two ideas. Firstly, it will surely make you laugh. Secondly, you can use a human name in a company to avoid confusion. Funny suggestions cover:
- Donald Jump
- Bunnydict Cumberbatch
- Hophrey Bogart
- George Clooleap
- Rabbit Downey Junior
- Harey Styles
- Binky Joel
- Bruce Springinthestep
- LeBound James
- David Hasselhop
Celebrities are omnipresent, so you’ll never run dry of thought. Just don’t let your rabbit think that he is too popular. He’ll surely get a big head.
Names Inspired by the Behavior of Male Rabbits
You may not even necessitate naming your rabbit. Sometimes, a pet chooses his own moniker through his behavior. Observe for any of the following:
- Rocky. Does your rabbit seem to stand on his hind legs and box? If so, name him after the cinema’s most popular pugilist.
- Houdini. Some rabbits are natural escape experts.
- Pac-Man. Several rabbits have voracious appetites. Your pet may remind you of the famous hungry video game character.
- Columbus. Does your rabbit love to traverse? Name him after the famous man that discovered America.
- Energizer. If your rabbit has tremendous energy, he may remind you of this classic battery company mascot.
- Oscar. Like the popular grouch of Sesame Street, some rabbits can be cranky.
- Boogie. If your rabbit likes to dance and binky, give him a name that matches this.
- Casanova. Male rabbits make no mystery of their appreciation for female counterparts.
- Digger. When your rabbit loves to dig.
- Attila the Bun. Male rabbits can be one-pet wrecking troupes, especially before neutering.
Boy Rabbit Names Inspired by Food and Drink
If you’re striving to decide on a rabbit name, why not apply your favorite food or drink?
- Guinness. A white rabbit with black markings will remind you of this popular beer.
- Nesquik. This homemade milkshake was presented with a rabbit mascot.
- Whiskey. Like a fine scotch, your rabbit will mature and cultivate with age.
- Carrot Top. If your rabbit has orange or ginger fur, name him after his all-time preferred snack.
- Cappuccino. A brown and white rabbit will resemble this Starbucks favorite.
- Caesar. As well as a Roman Emperor, Caesar is a salad – a food frequently linked with rabbits.
- Snickerdoodle. There is nothing wrong with furnishing your male rabbit a cute name.
- Strudel. This is a famous name that rolls off the tongue.
- Pumpkin. Rabbits usually love to eat pumpkins. It also makes an appealing name for a male rabbit.
- Sprite. Small, agile rabbits could take their name from this famous lemonade.
Best Names for Male Dwarf Rabbits
There are few things more attractive than a dwarf rabbit. These pets are tiny, which leaves you two naming choices. Do you lean into your rabbit’s size, or prefer something funny and ironic?
- Peanut. The kittens of two dwarf rabbits are called Peanuts. The name is suitable for a miniature rabbit.
- Bunnysaurus Rex. Raise your rabbit’s confidence by naming him after one of the most fearsome animals in history.
- Yoda. As the Jedi master, your rabbit will be small in size with large ears.
- Tiny. The hard T sound will help your rabbit catch his name.
- Bashful. Any one of Snow White’s seven dwarf companions gives obvious inspiration. This name is perfect for a shy rabbit.
- Scrappy. Your rabbit may be tiny, but he’ll grow as a prizefighter if threatened. This may remind you of Scooby Doo’s nephew.
- Bilbo. The works of JRR Tolkien and his small hobbit protagonists are beloved all over the world.
- Toulouse. The artist Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec stood less than five feet tall. He still made an influence on French society.
- Atom. Atoms were once thought to be the tiniest things in the universe.
- Gizmo. A popular name for small and adorable pets. Inspiration originates from the movie Gremlins.
Iconic Male Rabbit Pair Names
Keeping two male rabbits together can be crafty. But if they bond, they’ll surely be best friends for life, though. You’ll need to think of a suitably iconic pair of names like:
- Batman and Robin. Your rabbits will become the superheroes of your heart.
- Bert and Ernie. These best buddies did everything together. Bonded bunnies will relate.
- Laurel and Hardy. Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy are the famous legends of comedy.
- Ben and Jerry. Who doesn’t enjoy the ice cream of these lifelong buddies?
- Calvin and Hobbes. The comic strip ventures of Calvin and his pet tiger are the stuff of newspaper legend.
- Romulus and Remus. These twins established the city of Rome.
- David and Goliath. If you have two rabbits of distinct sizes, this Biblical pairing is wholly apt.
- Thunder and Lightning. Things can get turbulent with two male rabbits.
- Chocolate and Vanilla. Do you have a black and white rabbit pairing?
- Lennon and McCartney. Everybody admires The Beatles. If you end up with more rabbits, you could even rejoin the Fab Four.
Adding a Dash of Distinction
Some people prefer creating especially long names for their pets. Something between the lines of Sir Humphrey Who-Eats-Bananas of Hoppington Hollow.
If that looks a bit much, perhaps you just want to attach an honorific like Mr., Mrs., Miss, Sir, Lady, or Lord. You can also opt to supplement an actual title like Prince, Princess, Queen, or King.
After all, your pet is whatever you fancy him or her to be in your realm.
Will My Rabbit Respond To His Name?
It’s possible to train your rabbit with his name. He will not recognize it as we do, though. Instead, your rabbit will treat his name as a lead.
- Catch your rabbit’s attention
- While he is looking at you, say his name
- Present your rabbit a treat. A raisin will surely suffice
- Let your rabbit go back to his business
This will not be an overnight method but your rabbit will eventually respond to his name when called, though. You just need to ensure the sound remains a root of pleasure.
There is no hurry to name your rabbit. Don’t pick something inappropriate before he comes home. Hold fire and observe for a while. Before long, the inspiration for the ideal male rabbit name will strike.
Naming a pet is a serious job. You don’t want to decide on one that will get old in a few weeks. You want to pick a name that best fits your new furry friend.
And we hope that you got some ideas from this post. Let us know what your rabbit’s name is in the comments section. We’d love to hear it!
Want your rabbit to be happy and healthy?